The World According to Cara

Tuesday, April 17, 2007

experiencing God

there are many different personalities and 'boxes' that different people fit into.

here's another!

how do you experience God?

relationally - through relationships with others. these people love to pray with others do bible studies with others. whenever praise, worship, being in a team with other fired-up Christians they can really feel the presence of God and get thrive.

intellectually - these people love finding out new things about God. when ever they read their bible they need more books to read along side it like a commentary. they love theology. they need to be convinced of something intellectually then their hearts follow.

serving - these people love to serve. they feel closest to God when they're serving to accomplish Gods work. they love to do things for God.

contemplative - these people love to get away and sit with their bible, a book something that gets them thinking. being with people and doing things are draining for them. just being alone with God is enough for them. these people are very tuned into the activity of of God where ever they are. they see the beauty of God in this natural realm like others don't. they are deep thinkers.

activists - these people feel closest to God when they're doing lots. they push to the edge of their potential. these people do more work then others think they could handle. their lives have a very fast pace. these people are known to say such things as 'i feel closest to God when i have wrung out every last drop of my emotional, physical, and spiritual potential for a worthy kingdom cause'

creation - when these people are surrounded by nature they feel closest to God. beaches, bushes, deserts, mountains anything God made. they love. these people are the tree huggers, the greenies. when they're around nature their awareness of God increases.

worship - these people feel closest to God and more fully alive when worshipping. Cd's music singing these people love it and come alive.

there may be more but these are the ones that are discussed in Bill Hybels book Courageous Leadership.

which are you?

8 Comments:

  • I think my answer can be found in this simple response:

    CLOUDS!!!

    Umm.. But I fit into other 'categories' too.. I'm sure there's more too ;)

    By Blogger Achi Myachi, at 3:48 AM  

  • I don't know what I am... is that bad?

    By Blogger Steff, at 4:27 AM  

  • I think I fit into all of these. And I think they all fit into 'worship'.

    By Blogger Christop, at 4:54 AM  

  • I think we have preferences generally, my preference is definately to be activistic.

    By Blogger Trav, at 3:55 PM  

  • but even if you do fit into one more then another we still do experience God the other ways too. i don't believe that we should just stick to one way, that may be the primary pathway we experience God but not to just restict ourselves to that one.

    By Blogger Cara, at 5:07 PM  

  • heck yeah.. maybe we should be asking how does God's word say we 'experience God?'

    By Blogger Achi Myachi, at 12:40 AM  

  • Intellectual activist. But mostly intellectual. That's what gets me going :)

    Of course I can see all the other things in me, esp. worship and creation.

    By Blogger Rachel, at 8:13 PM  

  • John Ortberg also wrote about this in his book God is Closer Than You Think. I wrote about it here. It made me feel less cranky with people who didn't experience God the way I did :)

    By Blogger Susan Barnes, at 11:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home