The World According to Cara

Thursday, October 12, 2006

Values

Values

I have been thinking about my values in life and how they influence how I act.

Does what you value in life ever conflict with how you are acting???

I know in my life I do. Sometimes, more often than I would like to think about….

I was on my way to a class to do a presentation on a policy for healthy school canteens last week. As I was walking to class I realised that I was not acting in relation to what I value.

I thought that I needed to make a commitment to act more in line with my values. I did make a decision there and then, on my way to class, to be more enthusiastic and to care more about the presentation I had to do. To not have such a bad attitude about it. (the presentation went ok, I was trying to be enthusiastic about it… healthy school canteens is something to be enthusiastic about!)

It doesn’t matter what we value if we don’t act in line with them.

Our values should dictate our actions, not our emotions.

If we all let how our emotions rule our actions then this world will not be a pretty place to live. The Kingdom of Heaven then would not have a chance in being seen on earth.

If we control our emotions, and not be a victim of them, and act in accordance with our values and what God values, the world will be impacted so much more for God.

What do you value? how do they influence your actions?

2 Comments:

  • I think I have quite a few values, certainly too many to list - and even if I did list them, I'd be sure to leave some off.

    I think we often don't often realise all of our values until someone, or something challenges them. That, we discover them in that moment, because until then, we've never had to deal with someone who believes / values something different.

    Unfortunately, perhaps not all these values influence the way I act. They should, but they may not.

    Very thought provoking. Thanks for the great blog :-)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:37 AM  

  • I said in maths today. If we only did maths when we felt like it...we'd never do any.

    The same is true for our values. If we only live by them when it suits us...we never will.

    Making a list of values that i want to live by was a "Valuable" exercise for me to do.

    By Blogger Trav, at 11:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home